[geeks] DiY Stratum 1 server

Alois Hammer aloishammer at casearmour.net
Mon Mar 17 15:38:10 CDT 2008

I'm looking for resources on constructing a Stratum 1 time server.  I've
done a fair amount of my own research, so I think I have a lot of the
questions answered as to what's a feasible time source and so on.  As
far as I can tell, my best bet is a cheap GPS receiver of some sort.  Of
course, cheap is going to mean "does not work indoors," so I'm
specifically looking at one of the cheap-n-cheerful Bluetooth GPS
receivers that seem to proliferate just now.  I could at the very least
put that next to a window, or even bolt it down somewhere outside.

I have three questions:

1) Is the additional overhead of Bluetooth and USB going to make such a
device useless as a time source?
1a) Assuming the former, is there some other reasonably feasible way of
getting GPS time sync?  Do I need to man up and run a bunch of serial
cable outside?
2) Could I be using something better that doesn't cost a small (or
large) fortune?