[geeks] filtering out web base trojan?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Sun Mar 16 12:31:22 CDT 2008

 The Kama Sutra of Sridhar Ayengar reads thusly ...
> Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> >
> > I really miss running my own DNS server; it was easy to
> > block a large
> > percentage of advertising sites outright, by getting the
> > list from YoYo
> > (http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers) and letting DNS point those
> > host names to
> > localhost.  I added a list of known malware sites and other
> > bad actors, too,
> > of course.  It wasn't foolproof, and it did require
> > maintenance, but I really liked the results.
>
> You can do the same thing with hosts files.

Yep, but doing it at the DNS server is easier if you have multiple machines,
which I did.  Doing it on the UNIX-based DNS server made it easier to
automate the update process, too.   I've always found that automating
Windows processes is a PITA.

Also, in the past, having a massive hosts file under Windows resulted in
abominable system performance.  They may have fixed that, I dunno.

FWIW YoYo makes their AdServers file available in multiple formats, includng
hosts file format, BIND, etc.

-Shel