[geeks] filtering out web base trojan?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Mar 15 21:34:32 CDT 2008

I have a problem with a persistent web based trojan that infects one
computer of mine. I can get rid of it once it infects the computer, my
antivirus finds it and hijack this and windows defender catches any
startup registry entries.

Occasionally it gets so bad I have to boot from a CD and remove the DLL
it installs by hand.

This is getting tedious.

I'm using FireFox as my web browser with the noscript add-on.

However, it still gets through.

It's the one that randomly pops up a "your computer may be infected with
spyware, click here to make sure it is" window. Noscript prevents the
window from coming up, but it still tries.

Is there a way to filter it out via a web proxy? Possibly an add on
module for squid or apache? Something similar to Dan's Guardian? A
better FireFox add on?

While I would prefer something that stopped it, even a program that
detected and logged it would do. Then I can block the sites if they are
referred to, or simply no longer use the one that is infected.

I think that it comes in from a content/location based advertising
service, so the site that tries to infect me may not even be aware
that this is happening.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.