[geeks] Stoopid question re: cable ISP, modem, router  bonding

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Mar 12 10:41:17 CDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:25:11AM -0500, James Fogg wrote:

> I find smoothwall to have much higher throughput than things like Linksys
> routers. I lost a PIX to a lightning strike and had to put a Linksys into
> emergency service and noticed the throughput sucked. I tried others with the
> same results. Smoothwall solved the problem (old 500mhz Compaq pc, 128M dram).
> Now I'm having a problem with my Vonage VoIP connections randomly dropping
> about once per day. Also, images for Amazon.com are broken (this is really
> Amazon's screwup, but only some firewalls fail to track state with the
> solution Amazon is using).

Vonage has gotten a lot worse of the years. I first got it 4 years ago
and have had progressively worse service. I am not in the U.S. so I
expect less, but I did expect it to work 24/7.

I've since replaced it with a company run by someone else on this list,
to avoid a commerical posting, I won't mention his name.

I actually don't know anyone with a vonage line in the U.S. but one
friend I call often with a POTS line has a friend with one it never
works right when he calls my friend.

I think the guy is dropping vonage because he has FIOS and it includes
a much better voice package. The person I call is now elligable for
FIOS, but the extra packages are "not yet available". :-(

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838