[geeks] Stoopid question re: cable ISP, modem, router bonding

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Mar 12 08:51:27 CDT 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:54:22 -0500 (CDT), Lionel Peterson
<lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've got a Comcast cable modem, and I finally decided to dump my Sveasoft
> firmware'ed WRT54GS in exchange for a DD-WRT'ed WRT54G (I used different
> hardware so I could swap back the original config if I had problems). So,
> throw the DD-WRT firmware on the box, set all the settings to mirror my
> outgoing box, then swap them.
>
> It didn't work.
>
> It wouldn't get an IP address (via DHCP) from the comcast network. After
> bit of hair-pulling I power-cycled the cable modem, and the link lit
> right-up.
>
> Here's the question - am I correct in assuming that the cable modem
bonded
> to the MAC address on the previous router and wouldn't release another IP
> address to another MAC? My thinking is that by power-cycling the "router"
> wiped the old DHCP lease from the tables and the router could hand out a
> new IP.
>
> Everything is working fine now, but I had a bit of a "flailing around
like
> a crazed monkey" with settings, and I want to make sure i have the right
> idea of what is going on w/r/t the ISP, cable modem, and router.

Yes.  Comcrap is known for linking your DHCP to the MAC of the first thing
that the cable modem sees.

I went through this for many many friends with cable modems who didn't want
to pay Comcrap for more IPs.

And no I will not stop calling them Comcrap until they stop lying and
acting like said crap. (0)

Mike Hebel
(0) "No we don't filter any ports." "No we don't cap bandwidth." "No we
aren't preventing bittorrents." "No we aren't overselling our services."
Riiiight...
--
Help!  I'm trapped in a maze of evil spammers and bad IRC quotes!