[geeks] Apple iBook issues...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Mar 10 14:50:40 CDT 2008

" From: Mike F <lists at ibrew.net>
"
" On Mar 10, 2008, at 1:09 PM, adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker)
" wrote:
"
" > " From: Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com>
" > "
" > " On Mar 9, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Mike F wrote:
" > "
" > " > Heh, I recently went through a similar scenario. My iBook G3/600
" > " > was experiencing display problems and booting problems, and I
" > " > confirmed it was the video chip separating from the logic board by
" > " > pressing on the area to the left of the trackpad and booting it
" > up.
" > "
" > " We're still under Applecare, so if it keeps happening they can deal
" > " with it.
" >
" > there's a website out there somewhere by someone else who successfully
" > resoldered the chip, but lacking a heat gun he sat a tealight candle
" > on the chip...  iirc comments on the site suggest numerous others who
" > also did this
"
" Yeah, I saw the same page - did you also read about one guy's
" blowtorch method? I considered the heat gun method somewhat risky, but
" no way was I gonna attack the iBook with a pair of pliers and a
" blowtorch ;-)

yeah, risky could be something of an understatement.

otoh if the board is trash and that's your only tool, what can you
lose?