[geeks] PCI-E video cards

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Mar 10 13:11:31 CDT 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>> Now... if only I could use one of those cards in my Mac Pro to boost
>> that pitiful 7300...
>
> Well, there are aftermarket Apple cards.
>
> They aren't that cheap though.
>
> Unless it is a hacked card.

I had extremely good luck picking up a PC x1900 and flashing it with
Mac-friendly firmware.  I had to order the power cable from an Apple
service center (the logic-board side of the cable has a different pitch
than PCs use), but the whole process was as close to zero-hassle as
unsupported hardware stuff ever gets.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is no such thing as a short of reserves...
Elgin, TX         |  one bank can have a problem...the Fed can print