[geeks] PCI-E video cards

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 12:56:49 CDT 2008

Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>  > John Lee wrote:
>  >> Newegg has 256MB Geforce 7 cards for ~$25. That may
>  >> be a good way to go.
>  >
>  > ....Wow.  I just went and looked at their prices.  Non-bleeding-edge
>  > video cards have dropped much further in price than I'd realized.
>  > GeForce 8600GT cards for under $50 after rebate, 8400GS for $28.
>  > Even an SLI-capable 8800GS card for $120.  And here I thought $50
>  > was still a realistic price for a 256MB 6600....  shows how often
>  > *I* buy new hardware, huh?
>
>  Now... if only I could use one of those cards in my Mac Pro to boost
>  that pitiful 7300...

You know that you can, right?  I, too, have 1 1G Mac Pro, and I use an
eVGA GeForce 7800gt 256mb.  The trick is that I have my 7300gt in
another slot, and I boot with my monitor attached to it.  After boot,
you can switch cards, by switching monitor connections.

Bit of a pain, but it works like a champ.

Good luck!