[geeks] PCI-E video cards

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 10 10:26:49 CDT 2008

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2008/03/10 Mon AM 10:03:38 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] PCI-E video cards

>On Mar 10, 2008, at 10:32 , Joshua Boyd wrote:

>>> Now... if only I could use one of those cards in my Mac Pro to boost
>>> that pitiful 7300...
>>
>> Well, there are aftermarket Apple cards.
>
>Yeah, about 2 of them... and all 2-3 times the price they should be.
>
>Or, since people are fixing 8xxx cards for $50, as much as 5-8 times
>more than they should be.
>
>> Unless it is a hacked card.
>
>Unfortunately, a lot of them can't be hacked.
>
>Stupid on Apple's part, most certainly, but also stupid on the
>industry's part because the technology to render this issue moot has
>been around since 1994 or so.
>
>Oh well, if the industry consistently did things correctly, I'd
>probably die from the shock.

Dumb question, but couldn't the work of the "Hackintosh" folks to use their PC cards in PC machines be put to advantage in an actual Apple Mac? Seems to me if they can get Card X supported on a non-Apple box, it should be just as easy/hard to get it to work on an actual Apple Mac - shouldn't it?

Just a thought - my Hackintosh will have the built-in graphics from the Intel 945 chipset, same as some early Intel MacBooks...

Lionel