[geeks] WANTED: Mac program for Usenet text groups

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Mar 8 10:34:04 CST 2008

On Mar 6, 2008, at 12:10 , velociraptor wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Shannon Hendrix
> <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>
>> I've tried MT Newswatcher, which is very powerful, but hopelessly
>> ugly
>> and cumbersome to manage.
>>
>> It's MacOS 7-9 heritage is painfully evident.
>>
>> The other stuff like Unison has "OK" text abilities, but it clearly
>> designed primarily for grabbing binaries which I'm not interested in.
>>
>> Anyway, suggestions welcome.
>>
>> Oh, and what would be *really* nice is if the program updated
>> ~/.newsrc, so I could share that with a UNIX machine I still read
>> news
>> on, from the same server.
>
> I'm not sure that it integrates with .newsrc, but I've used Pineapple
> Newsreader, only available for OS X.    It's intended for off-line
> reading, so reading is it's primary focus.

I'm testing it now, thanks for the suggestion.

Much better than MT and others I've tried, but still not really
"outstanding".  But then, it is free and it does work well enough.

> My favorite newsreader was slrn.

I used that a lot too.

I'd like to see a GUI variation.

I don't understand why when people make GUI programs, they assume it
must be a program that depends on the mouse.

There is no reason it cannot be both: good keyboard support and good
mouse support.