[geeks] Anyone use this SATA controller in a PC

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 8 10:15:01 CST 2008

Hello all,

I'm thinking of "pimping out" an old PowerEdge 4400 (dual PIII Xeon 1 GHz). I've currently got it full of 36 Gig SCSI drives, but I realized I could add one of my favorite 3x 3.5" SATA hot-swap trays in the two open 5.25" bays (under the optical drive), so I'm thinking about adding a SATA controller to this machne. Since it only has PCI slots (64 bit, both 33 and 66 MHz), I was thinking of adding one of these Promise SATA controllers and playing with ZFS and/or JBOD on a couple large SATA drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816102062

At about $60 it is right on the edge of justifiable, since it is 300 Mb/sec SATA "II" and low-profile, so I could use it in any other system if I decide to de-commission the PowerEdge 4400.

Obviously, I'd be interested in Solaris Support if anyone knows about that as well..

Thanks,

Lionel