[geeks] PCI-E video cards

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Mar 7 22:52:08 CST 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 10:36 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
>> Date: 2008/03/07 Fri AM 11:33:50 CST
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] PCI-E video cards
>

> <snip>
>
>> Certain older Radeons should be flawless.  Like the X300s or X800s.
>> Then you won't need blob drivers.  I haven't actually tried those
>> with
>> Solaris ever though.
>
> Just a note - the Radeon x300 is a pretty low-level card, esp. by
> todays
> "Vista-capable" standards...

The X300 isn't Aero compatible?  Sheesh.

For the linux desktop gui wizardry a 64meg radeon 7k is plenty
adequate.  A 32 meg unit works fine at 1024x768, but then apparently
runs out of memory to handle higher correctly.

BTW, the CN700 chip almost does the linux gui sparkly fun stuff.
However, all the windows are surrounded by a 5 pixel or so wide black
lines.  Oops.  I'm not sure how that got turned on, but I turned it
off quickly.