[geeks] Academic Stupidity

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Mar 7 13:30:26 CST 2008

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 11:40:33 -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>
> > http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/309855
> >
> > This Luddite professor needs to be strung up by the balls.
>
> That's insanely stupid on the university's party. I'm sure they
> won't discipline the kid...

It looks like a pretty slanted article to me (although the University
staff are probably gagged). So far we know that there's an assignment
that may or may not have had stern warnings about it being independent
work. There's an incident that from the outside may look like plagiarism
(academics start frothing at the mouth when that word is mentioned).

And a possibly bone-headed prof has recommended expulsion.

And we have a student who hasn't turned up to two disciplinary meetings
due to a 'mis-communication' (Universities are usually pretty
enthusiastic about communicating such things), where he could have a
chance to explain exactly what he was doing.

Sure he is facing expulsion. If you're facing a formal disciplinary at
University you are *always* facing expulsion (as in it is always an
option). Doesn't mean he will get expelled or even that it is likely.
I've been on the periphery of countless disciplinaries, and only a
handful have resulted in expulsion.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 "Microsoft couldn't get a clue if it were soaked in clue pheromone in