[geeks] PCI-E video cards

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Mar 7 11:33:50 CST 2008

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 12:50:09PM -0500, John Lee wrote:
> So, this might be a sign that I've been using Macs for too long.
>
> I've got a shiny new desktop workstation at work (Dell XPS 420).
> Unfortunately, the ATI Radeon HD2400Pro card that it came with seems
> to be poorly supported under Linux (Ubuntu 7.10). Rather than spend
> another few days screwing around, can anyone recommend a solid video
> card that will work under both Linux and OpenSolaris with a minimum of
> hassle? I'm largely just looking for good 2D performance and dual head
> support. The Nvidia cards sound like they work. Can I just get any
> Nvidia based card, slap it in, and install the binary drivers, or do
> some cards work better than others?

More or less any nvidia card will work, but I'd recommend sticking with
something that isn't too new.  Like a Geforce 6200 or 7300.  Check the
readmes for the Solaris drivers to guide how new of a card you choose.

Certain older Radeons should be flawless.  Like the X300s or X800s.
Then you won't need blob drivers.  I haven't actually tried those with
Solaris ever though.