[geeks] WANTED: Mac program for Usenet text groups

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Mar 5 18:50:05 CST 2008

I need a good Usenet newsreader for MacOS.

What I have found so far either kinda sucks, or it is heavily geared
toward downloading porn and pirated software.

What I really need is a first-class threaded text newsreader.

I know I can get a port of something like trn, but I would like to try
finding a good native Mac program that does a good job with threaded
discussion.

I've tried MT Newswatcher, which is very powerful, but hopelessly ugly
and cumbersome to manage.

It's MacOS 7-9 heritage is painfully evident.

The other stuff like Unison has "OK" text abilities, but it clearly
designed primarily for grabbing binaries which I'm not interested in.

Anyway, suggestions welcome.

Oh, and what would be *really* nice is if the program updated
~/.newsrc, so I could share that with a UNIX machine I still read news
on, from the same server.

Thanks.