[geeks] SATA Drives and Delay Start

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Mar 5 16:57:16 CST 2008

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:27:06 -0500
Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok.  I checked, and my controller, the Highpoint RocketRAID 2320,
> supports staggered spin, but I don't understand how it stops the
> drives  from spinning up if it hasn't yet booted its own firmware.
Pin 11 on the SATA power plug is staggered spinup. The drive starts
immediately on power up if pin 11 is tied to GND. If not the drive
starts when the controller initializes the drive. It is possible to
connect an activity LED to pin 11 if staggered spinup is used. Not
all drives support staggered spinup.

RTFWP: (Read The F* WikiPedia ;-) )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staggered_spinup