[geeks] Automobile production spans

jvdg at sparcpark.net jvdg at sparcpark.net
Tue Mar 4 11:55:30 CST 2008

<adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:

> " Chevrolet Corvette: 1953 - present (55 y)
>
> as a nameplate but not really a single model.  closest would be the
> irs chassis that lasted from '63 to '82.  of course, this applies to
> the 911 and golf also.  one might as easily count the lincoln
> continental and cadillac fleetwood as long running names.

Ah. I knew this discussion would arise, and I welcome it. ;-)

Less so for the 911, IMO. Especially the model years 1974-1992 were
practically unchanged except on minor details. In fact, you can make a 1974 SC
look like a 911 Carrera just by installing the right body parts. The 93 model
represents the most drastic redesign after thirty years running, then followed
by the water cooled engines, which is, arguably, a defining change to the 911
philosophy.

I was tempted to mention the Corvette and the Mustang in my original list,
but:

a) I know (and care) little about American automobiles (with few exceptions)
b) One of the things I know about American automobiles is that they will use a
name for many consecutive models that really aren't the same car. See:
Corvette.

To be fair, b) applies to the Renault 4, at least, since it underwent major
redesign in its lifetime that really made it a new model with the old name.

But on the whole, European car makers are more prone to retire a car's name or
number with major design overhauls.

,xtG
.tsooJ