[geeks] FC question

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Mon Mar 3 10:36:15 CST 2008

On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> I have a question for those who have more experience with this than
> me.  If i cannot see a red light coming out of the port on a Qlogic
> QLA2340 FC HBA, is it definately dead, or is there any
> troubleshooting that i should do with it?  How common is it for
> such an HBA to die in service?

HBAs do die. Looking at the light is bad for your eyes. If a light
isn't coming out it may be because the card isn't initialized or
plugged in all the way. A "probe-scsi-all" and "show-devices" should
show the dev and such, and it should light up at that point.

Also, the GBICs are known to die, too; that's the plug-in that goes
from the card to the optical port....

-Jon