[geeks] PC Hardware (Power Supplies)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Mon Mar 3 10:15:41 CST 2008

Quoth wa2egp at att.net ...
> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
[snip]
> > If you think it's bad about cross-branding on TVs, you
> > should see what they do with CARS:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badge_engineering
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_badge_engineered_vehicles

[snip]
> Thanks Bill.  Now I have to go to the driveway and see what
> the hell I'm driving.

Badge-engineered cars have been around a long time; BMC was doing it in the
50s.

Even when non-badge-engineered, your car can have unusual sources for
things.  In the 1980s, I had a Volkswagen built in Pennsylvania with a
Mexican engine and a Brazillian gearbox.  Back in the states, I have an
American-built Honda Acord.

Now, though, you not only get different labels on the same cars, you get
locally-branded cars built in non-traditional places.  Over here (France),
you can get a Renault built in Romania, a Citroen (which is really a
Peugeot) built in Turkey, etc.

It just makes for more fun, down the road, at the parts counter.

-Shel