[geeks] PC Hardware (Power Supplies)

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Mar 2 10:34:14 CST 2008

> A casual friend that used to be in the electronics repair business once told
> me that Sears didn't make their own TVs, they would contract out to someone
> else to build the TVs. His claim was that Sears would take a base model TV
> from RCA, start stripping the parts off it until it didn't work, then add the
> lat part back and ask RCA to build them TVs just like the one they "hacked".
> If you assume this to be true, then it would support the blanket statement
> that RCA TVs are better than Sears, even though they are both made by RCA.
>
> Besides, my blanket statement was about my experiences with Antec products - I
> wasn't speaking to the broader product line...
>
> Lionel

My father (who was in the electronics business) used to say that about RCA TVs.
Having a brief time in the industry, I can honestly say that a company will not
put a part in if it costs them a penney or so and they see no need for that part.
It was the bane of ham rado operators that TV sets never had a high pass filter
in them even though it only cost pennies per set since so few would be exposed
to the signals of a local ham operator.

Then again, Craftsmen tools seemed to be better quality (to me) than Black and
Decker (who made them for Sears) but that could just me my misperception.

Bob