[geeks] PC Hardware (Power Supplies)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 2 08:54:31 CST 2008

>From: Nate <nate at portents.com>
>Date: 2008/03/01 Sat PM 07:25:20 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] PC Hardware (Power Supplies)

>On Mar 1, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

<snip>

>> I know Mr. Bill likes PC Power & Cooling units, but I have never
>> had any problems with Antec (except for one DOA unit, which was
>> quickly RMA'd by Antec, no problem).

<snip>

>As I've mentioned on this list before, PC Power & Cooling, Antec,
>etc. do not make their power supplies, they have other people make
>them for them to their specifications, and it really does not make
>any sense to try to make blanket statements such as "PC Power &
>Cooling is good" or "Antec is good" since the actual manufacturer
>will vary depending on the model of PC Power & Cooling or Antec you
>are talking about.

I read your statement as possibly supporting the a blanket statement, if you
allow that either Antec or PC Power & Cooling have higher specifications
across the board than others may have.

A casual friend that used to be in the electronics repair business once told
me that Sears didn't make their own TVs, they would contract out to someone
else to build the TVs. His claim was that Sears would take a base model TV
from RCA, start stripping the parts off it until it didn't work, then add the
lat part back and ask RCA to build them TVs just like the one they "hacked".
If you assume this to be true, then it would support the blanket statement
that RCA TVs are better than Sears, even though they are both made by RCA.

Besides, my blanket statement was about my experiences with Antec products - I
wasn't speaking to the broader product line...

Lionel