[geeks] DS3

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Jun 27 12:48:05 CDT 2008

Dan Sikorski wrote:
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>>
>>> Ballpark how much does internet service on a DS3 cost nowadays?
>>>
>> Isn't that one of those questions where if you have to ask, you can't
>> afford it...?
>
> Naah, a 45mbit ds3 isn't much speed, really.  He wasn't asking about a
> OC-48 (also on my price schedule here, $784k/mo list, no clue what
> discounts would look like).

Friend of mine used to work for flying croc.  If you haven't heard of
them, they're a big business webhost.  For specialized markets.
...Well, OK, they're one of the world's biggest porn-hosting companies.
 Anyway, they shared their NOC with another company in the same
building.  One day, this guy is in the NOC and he notices this little
thin yellow cable snaking through the racks.  Looks about like a bright
yellow mouse cable.  He knows it doesn't belong to flying croc, so he
finds one of The Other Company's guys and asks, "What's this yellow cable?"

"Oh, that?  Experimental single-fiber OC768."

> And for that matter, the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" line
> is total BS anyway.  I don't care how much money you have, you didn't
> get there by foolishly overspending.  Warren Buffet is one of the
> richest men in the world, and I can assure you that he asks how much his
> lunch costs.  (But then, he's an unusually frugal billionaire.)

Sure.  But I assume you know what I meant.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.