[geeks] rsync type backup for Apple machines?

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Fri Jun 27 10:11:13 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:06:12AM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 04:05:39PM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> > How do the 'geeks' people here backup their Apple machines?
>
> I use a combination of CCC and rsync to the network and rsync to a local
> external drive (which also houses rsyncs from the rest of the network).
> For the rsyncs I don't worry about the entire disk, I only worry about
> user data.  The CCC is only done occasionally since I'll restore the
> user data from the network, I'm mainly concerned about not having to
> reinstall my mac entirely.

This sounds like the sanest approach, I'm going to try that together
with the rsync from pkgsrc:
net/rsync, version 3.0.2

Thanks to Nate's reading list, it seems essential to get a version of
rsync > 3

I have similar concerns to those you have - I don't want to reinstall
my mac entirely as there are lots of tweaks that I have done over time
that I've now forgotten about - like how to replace cron jobs with
.plists and how to get postfix to work.

Thanks,
Jonathan