[geeks] I know it's really just an Intel server, but...

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 09:40:02 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Lionel Peterson
<lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> The V20z does look like a nice deal, but one of the appealing things (to me) is the 6 hot-swap bays on the front of the V65x.

We still have several V20z, V65x and V60x used 24/7, they must be at
least 4-5 years old and still ticking. The number one issue of the
v20z is that they are extremely loud (in the realm of T1000 loud).
Else, they are 64 bit versus V65x V60x 32 bit.

> Anyone have any hands-on exp. with the V65x? I'm curious about known problems or gotcha's with that box.

Will run windows or solaris, never had a problem with any of them.
Under solaris just use zfs raidz. Actually, we did lose 1 drive on one
machine that is used as one of our two fax servers, but if I compare
that to the number of drives we've lost on dell servers... As fas as
gotcha, they are 32 bit and thus no hardware virtualization. You can
still run qemu or virtualbox on them though.

Francois