[geeks] Nice HTPC case for sale at Frys.com

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jun 25 11:31:33 CDT 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>> There are plenty of rackmount chassis, even some that are made to be
>> quiet (for production studios). Antec is (I assume) going for retail,
>> not commercial, sales...
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/digitechcustomav/2357819217/
> http://flickr.com/photos/hometheater/2068104647/
> http://flickr.com/photos/prove_to_me/2110563401/
> http://flickr.com/photos/prove_to_me/2111370602/
>
> Each of those would be retail use, would they not be?  At least, they
> aren't exactly commercial usage.

There also doesn't appear to be a single PC in among them.  People with
that much coin to spend on elaborate home-theatre setups aren't going to
use them to watch YouTube and listen to MP3s.  They likely aren't into
content creation, either, so there isn't a tremendous demand for something
that can't be met by something unlike an Apple TV.

You'd be best-served looking for rackmount cases designed to live in
studio racks or getting a computer designed to live in a studio (like a
Mac Pro) and putting it on a rack shelf.  A fair amount of broadcast gear
these days consists of fanless PCs (quite a few based around the VIA EPIA
platforms) crammed into quiet cases.  So, someone must make acceptable
cases if you're not dissipating Xeon 7000-like quantities of heat.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi