[geeks] A few interesting products...

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 17:34:00 CDT 2008

On Jun 20, 2008, at 4:06 AM, Francois Dion wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Nadine Miller
> <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 2008, at 1:01 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 19, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Shannon Hendrix
>>> <shannon at widomaker.com>

>>> The kindest way I could describe the 5 bay "tower" would be as a
>>> workbench
>>> raid array. It take a standard 20 or 24 pin ATX power supply
>>> (check the
>>> photos).
>>>
>>> As for a case, you are on your own - I'd like a plexiglass box, if
>>> I could
>>> get the wiring neat enough...
>>
>> You could probably retrofit it into an older SCSI/Optical "mini"
>> tower, but
>> there's the issue of fitting a PSU in there with it.  I wonder how
>> big of a
>> PSU you'd need for 5x SATA II drives?
>
> If he's going to use CFII (Ultra III, IV) cards, any PS will do and
> be overkill.
>
>> (I hear a zpool calling... :-) Newegg
>> had 750GB SATA II's on for $99 the other day iirc.  Disk prices
>> just keep
>> falling.)
>>
>> =Nadine=
>
> I know, it's insane. Stay tuned, I have a feeling nadine is going to
> come back soon with a "how I built my own thumper" thread...
> :)

I was wrong, it was Fry's with your choice of 500GB SATA II or EIDE
for $89. :-)

"Thumper" in my parlance means a single cylinder motorcycle...and I'm
not that much of a mechanic, mostly for lack of tools.  Besides, I
already have 3 of them, though only one is running at the moment.  Of
zpools, I have none.  :-)

Anyone interested a mechanic's special '02 KLR650 (cracked side case;
have all parts to fix except a mirror mount) or '99 BMW F650 (it won't
start)?  I need the cash more than the bikes at this point; both are
in Vegas.

=Nadine=