[geeks] fwd: IBM supercomputer dual-boots Windows and Linux

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jun 19 17:35:11 CDT 2008

" From: "Jonathan Katz" <jon at jonworld.com>
"
" []
"
" I'm still at odds with calling the cluster of whatever-1U-du-jour
" hooked together with Gigabit Ethernet or Myrinet a supercomputer even
" if the top500 list does. To me a super computer is a big monolithic
" beastie that has a single OS image on it.

i can live with hardware clusters [though i think linking machines
with a network is rather stretching it], but i agree - if it's to be
called -a- computer it has to be running -one- os.  anything else is
a bunch o' puters talking to each other.

think of vax vms clusters.  amdahl had something like that too.