[geeks] EVE: the new addition...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jun 17 17:05:09 CDT 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 15:31 , Mark wrote:

> Yep, Space with security rating 0.5, known as Empre Space, and above
> is relatively safe (at the moment). Only the brave or stupid
> (usually the latter) agro people in Empire, as it usually ends up
> with Concord all over your beeehind, and that's a guaranteed ship
> loss unless you are flying something VERY big and VERY hard (and
> people who are most often don't have the time or lack of alacrity to
> sit around picking fights in Empire).

True that.

However, I did target someone in empire space for stealing my wrecks.
It's a legal kill.

However, he had the good sense to become needed elsewhere.  My
character is only a week old, but what I have is well optimized and he
was well scorched when he vacated.

Of course, I play a bit of a rogue, so I'm not a saint by any means.

I hunt NPC pirates, but I also talk to RPP pirates and might join them.

I'm also just as liable to join the militia.

That's what's nice about EVE.  In other MMOs, playing a rogue or a
"Han Solo" type is very hard, but EVE was built for it.

> As a well-worn mining Foreman, I know all about the 'asshats'. They
> are the sort who come into a belt and steal your ore from your tins
> while you are working, hoping you'll try and get it back and agress
> them, resulting on them ganking you. I just laugh and tell them they
> are idiots if they think I'm gonna get upset over a few tins of ore.

Sometimes I've watched a macro miner strip mining a field, and I think
that since I'm holding down the NPC pirate population, I'm really
doing them a service, and so I occasionally extract a small fee from
there containers.

It's really funny when it turns out one of them is a guy in China
working in an EVE sweatshop.  Local lights up with broken English
profanities and sometimes a "bodyguard" will warp in.

I say my heartfelt goodbyes and become needed somewhere else.

I view them as the "Wal-Mart" (almost literally) of the EVE world.

They keep the prices of things down in EVE which is good for some, but
bad for others.  For example, RPP miners make less money because you
can't really compete with a macro or an asian sweatshop run corporation.

It just seems to me that they have so much, they should share, even
involuntarily...

> That's one of the charms of EVE, you get every breed of human being
> from the neanderthal idiots to the brilliant minds, to the cut
> throat malitias, to the kind and generous care-bear types (I fit in
> the latter category).

Well, I'm not a care bear, I'm more of a rogue.

I went ratting in 0.4 on day three in a Breacher.

I lost the ship to a real pirate, but not until I had made around 1
million ISK, a good part of it stolen from said pirate.

The ship cost me 50K, so it was a worthwhile enterprise.

You can be generous and still be a rogue though.

I will fight for the militia and I've helped other newbies take down
NPC pirates.

> One thing I cannot wait for in EVE is the Ambulation add-on. This is
> not only going to look stunning, but also add an even more human
> aspect to the game. For the first time you will be able to dock at a
> starbase and meet your fellow players face-to-face (as it were) in
> gloriously detailed 3D. Nice :) Well I think so at least...

I would like to see ship customization myself.

I would also like to see more of the busy work automated.

For example, why can't you hire NCP couriers to ferry cargo between
stations?

If you run missions and store loot in multiple locations, it can take
a lot of real time to organize it all.

I would also like to see improvements in the UI to make configuration
of your radar system easier, and being able to save your configuration
so you can reload it as a backup or move it to another machine would
be great.

Another big one is a decent combat camera.  The current system is not
real good.

They also need a "next target" button so you can just lock onto the
next available target.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com