[geeks] EVE: the new addition...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jun 17 13:01:59 CDT 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 19:34 , Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> Through a process completely out of my own control, I have been
>> sucked
>> into the EVE universe and can't get out.
>>
>> Anyone else here play?
>

> I've looked at it with curiosity in the past.  The major thing that
> dissuades me from trying it is that I understand once you leave the
> beginner areas, it's ALL PvP.

That's not true.

It's only mostly PVP in security level 0.4 or lower.

In 0.5 or higher Concord police come after griefers and/or you can run
to them.

Makes it pretty realistic IMHO.

> And frankly, I *hate* PvP.  There's
> always some asshat hanging around in the low-level areas picking off
> the
> low-hanging fruit, and then vanishing before high-level friendlies can
> get there.

You mean there are characters in EVE that do the same thing in EVE
that people do in the real world?

There are always losers.

I see this as a realism thing, but I can see how some people don't
like it.  EVE does not try to artificially create a "scalable"
experience like most MMOs.

It creates what I believe is far more realistic and recognizable world
where the security of an area determines risk and reward, much like
the real world.

You simply avoid the risky areas until you have the skills for it.

This seems to automatically weed out the people without the patience
to play sanely, and it also seems to create a friendly and more
honorable players than what I've seen in games where ramping up your
skills happens faster and the game enforces more "friendly" adventures.

It's not perfect, but more in terms of them deciding to make tradeoffs.

I think EVE has survived precisely because it is unfriendly.

>> One nice thing is it can be interesting without spending endless time
>> in the game, and a couple of pirates loaned me enough money to buy a
>> destroyer...
>
> "loaned"....?   :)

Oops, given actually.

However, you bring up an interesting point: in EVE you can load money
too, and you can either be a pretty standard bank type loaner, or a
loan shark, depending on the role you play.

I would love to show up in a dreadnaught and demand my interest
payments...

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com