[geeks] HTML email in mutt

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Mon Jun 16 05:40:51 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 04:20:06PM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> Now the issue I'm having is that for messages that come with both a
> proper text body and an HTML version, like ebay messages, I see the HTML
> version instead of the text version, which means that I do not see the
> URLs.  Does anyone have a trick for defaulting to the text/plain section
> before the text/html section?

The alternative_order option should do what you want. I used to use it
until I came across mails that have both text/plain and text/html sections
but the text/plain is either empty or contains some boilerplate that says
'You need an HTML viewer to read this mail'.

> Also, does anyone have a trick for detecting when the text/plain section
> is really HTML as well?

I don't, but you could probably hack together a script that uses file(1) or
some of your own heuristics to spot those mails.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner
mj at mjturner.net      <>  http://mjturner.net/