[geeks] D&D 4e is here - private reply

dmuran at tuad.org dmuran at tuad.org
Wed Jun 11 19:25:56 CDT 2008

Well, if you are interested in a non-D&D F2F game, a group of friends
meet at my house more-or-less weekly for GURPS. I've been running the
same fantasy world for 30 years or so...lots of role-playing, but
since most of these guys have been playing with me on and off for the
30 years, there's also a lot of shared history and inside jokes. We
get distracted occasionally...

Dave

Quoting Nadine Miller <velociraptor at gmail.com>:

> On Jun 9, 2008, at 2:30 PM, jodys at helluin.org wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:57:39AM -0700, Nadine Miller wrote:
>>> Couldn't agree more.  Having spent a large part of my game convention
>>> time wading through people who confuse role-playing with pushing
>>> miniatures around on a map ala "D&D", I'll stick to the margins with
>>> games strongly oriented towards role-play like Eden's stuff (e.g.
>>> Witchcraft, etc.), GOO's Tekumel: Empire of the Petal Throne, a little
>>> known space opera-ish thing, and Warhammer (1e, preferrably, but I'll
>>> play 2e with the right house rules).
>>
>> I've never been a convention gamer, so I probably have a different
>> perspective. I've played some rules-light games that bog down in rules
>> lawyering, DM fiat, and general unpleasantness. I've also played
>> extremely fun games of Rifts, with no power-gaming, rules-lawyering,
>> etc.
>>
>> I can't really think of a game that encourages role playing, per se.
>> That, I think, is still firmly in the hands of the person running
>> the game and everyone else at the table.
>>
>> D&D gets a bad rap because it is the popular and there are still a
>> fair share of people who just want to move a little avatar around
>> the table and smash orcs to pieces.
>

> Rules lawyers are a PITA regardless of the game systems; that's why
> I'm very careful about committing to a campaign unless I know the
> people I'm gaming with.  I have less trouble with this at
> cons--you're committing to maybe 6-8 hours at worst (though I have
> walked out on one game which was a complete CF, but that's another
> story).
>
> I'd have to disagree with the comment about systems encouraging RP
> or not.  But your "bad rap" comment is right on.  I just don't feel
> like wading through the rabble to get to the good stuff.  Kind of
> like using Solaris vs. Linux, or Macs vs. Windows.  Clearly other
> people at cons feel the same way, IME, as the "interesting" folks
> end up running into each other multiple times in the other less
> "mainstream" RPG sessions.  Things like Pumpkin Town, Hong Kong
> Action Theatre, HKAT + All Flesh Must Be Eaten mash-up (all PCs
> killed in the first 10 min. of the game), Unknown Armies, etc. have
> all been very memorable gaming sessions for me, even though I didn't
> know any of the folks I played with in most cases.
>
> As an example, I went to an RPG meet-up in the DC area.  We went
> around intro'ing ourselves and what sort of games were were
> interested in.  It was ridiculously obvious by the time it was my
> turn to intro that I shouldn't have bothered attending.  In spite of
> folks' MU profiles, everyone in attendance was clearly a hard-core
> D&D player.  I mentioned several systems I was interested in and the
> type of play I preferred; the blatant looks that suggested I'd grown
> a 3rd head confirmed my suspicions.
>
> I've not played in a F2F setting for several years due to the dearth
> [...]

Sapere Aude!

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys]