[geeks] D&D 4e is here

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jun 11 13:42:30 CDT 2008

On Jun 11, 2008, at 12:37 , Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Or there's the counterpart:  the player of the barbarian with the 19
> STR
> and 6 INT who glances at the arcane diagrams on the temple wall and
> solves the complex puzzle at a glance, or who is fluent in every known
> language...

Well, one thing to remember too, is that in a lot of ways, gathering
in person to play an RPG is a serious drawback for a lot of character
types and stories.

Certain roles are really hard to manage.  For example, what if you
want to steal something by posing as a fighter?  It's kind of hard to
pull that off when everyone is sitting together...

Computer versions offer a big advantage in that regard.

For example, when I first played Oblivion, I played a thief.  Now,
Oblivion has no hard and fast rules about what role you play, but I
wanted to steal something which belonged to another guild.

The only way to steal it was to join the other guild to gain access,
which I did, and promptly nicked my little treasure.  I had to spend
20 minutes running from some really ticked off mages, but it was worth
a lot of cash.

It is very hard to do that when gathered with others.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com