[geeks] D&D 4e is here

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 18:16:23 CDT 2008

On Jun 9, 2008, at 2:30 PM, jodys at helluin.org wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:57:39AM -0700, Nadine Miller wrote:
>> Couldn't agree more.  Having spent a large part of my game convention
>> time wading through people who confuse role-playing with pushing
>> miniatures around on a map ala "D&D", I'll stick to the margins with
>> games strongly oriented towards role-play like Eden's stuff (e.g.
>> Witchcraft, etc.), GOO's Tekumel: Empire of the Petal Throne, a
>> little
>> known space opera-ish thing, and Warhammer (1e, preferrably, but I'll
>> play 2e with the right house rules).
>
> I've never been a convention gamer, so I probably have a different
> perspective. I've played some rules-light games that bog down in rules
> lawyering, DM fiat, and general unpleasantness. I've also played
> extremely fun games of Rifts, with no power-gaming, rules-lawyering,
> etc.
>
> I can't really think of a game that encourages role playing, per se.
> That, I think, is still firmly in the hands of the person running
> the game and everyone else at the table.
>
> D&D gets a bad rap because it is the popular and there are still a
> fair share of people who just want to move a little avatar around
> the table and smash orcs to pieces.

Rules lawyers are a PITA regardless of the game systems; that's why
I'm very careful about committing to a campaign unless I know the
people I'm gaming with.  I have less trouble with this at cons--you're
committing to maybe 6-8 hours at worst (though I have walked out on
one game which was a complete CF, but that's another story).

I'd have to disagree with the comment about systems encouraging RP or
not.  But your "bad rap" comment is right on.  I just don't feel like
wading through the rabble to get to the good stuff.  Kind of like
using Solaris vs. Linux, or Macs vs. Windows.  Clearly other people at
cons feel the same way, IME, as the "interesting" folks end up running
into each other multiple times in the other less "mainstream" RPG
sessions.  Things like Pumpkin Town, Hong Kong Action Theatre, HKAT +
All Flesh Must Be Eaten mash-up (all PCs killed in the first 10 min.
of the game), Unknown Armies, etc. have all been very memorable gaming
sessions for me, even though I didn't know any of the folks I played
with in most cases.

As an example, I went to an RPG meet-up in the DC area.  We went
around intro'ing ourselves and what sort of games were were interested
in.  It was ridiculously obvious by the time it was my turn to intro
that I shouldn't have bothered attending.  In spite of folks' MU
profiles, everyone in attendance was clearly a hard-core D&D player.
I mentioned several systems I was interested in and the type of play I
preferred; the blatant looks that suggested I'd grown a 3rd head
confirmed my suspicions.

I've not played in a F2F setting for several years due to the dearth
of people interested in something other than D&D.  All my recent games
are run in IRC.

=Nadine=