[geeks] D&D 4e is here

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Mon Jun 9 16:30:49 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:57:39AM -0700, Nadine Miller wrote:
> Couldn't agree more.  Having spent a large part of my game convention
> time wading through people who confuse role-playing with pushing
> miniatures around on a map ala "D&D", I'll stick to the margins with
> games strongly oriented towards role-play like Eden's stuff (e.g.
> Witchcraft, etc.), GOO's Tekumel: Empire of the Petal Throne, a little
> known space opera-ish thing, and Warhammer (1e, preferrably, but I'll
> play 2e with the right house rules).

I've never been a convention gamer, so I probably have a different
perspective. I've played some rules-light games that bog down in rules
lawyering, DM fiat, and general unpleasantness. I've also played
extremely fun games of Rifts, with no power-gaming, rules-lawyering,
etc.

I can't really think of a game that encourages role playing, per se.
That, I think, is still firmly in the hands of the person running
the game and everyone else at the table.

D&D gets a bad rap because it is the popular and there are still a
fair share of people who just want to move a little avatar around
the table and smash orcs to pieces.

Jody