[geeks] D&D 4e is here

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 7 22:25:42 CDT 2008

>From: Jon Gilbert <jjj at io.com>
>Date: 2008/06/07 Sat PM 04:50:39 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] D&D 4e is here

>On Jun 6, 2008, at 11:55 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> Just when I thought it was safe to visit the local game store, D&D
>> 4th Edition is released.
>>
>> I've already read more than a few comments that it sucks, and that
>> it is dumbed down 3rd Edition, but I'm not so sure.
>>
>> I don't like some of the changes, but have to admit that some of the
>> others are welcome, and it seems like it will help with computer
>> versions.
>>
>> Some things make no sense at all though, and I'm a little worried
>> this is going the wrong way.
>>
>> Time to head to Barnes N Noble and sit down for a read...
>

>OMG, just the cost of buying all new books is insane. I realize WotC
>has to stay in business but... I mean... I know guys that have close
>to $1000 in books... it seems like yesterday that "3.5" came out...
>
>Isn't this just unnecessary, really?

AFAIK, all that matters is that everyone in a given "campaign" (group) use the same set of rules... They don't have to be the most current.

I played this back in high school, which was over 25 years ago(!), and I enjoyed it, but it had much more to do with the players I was with as it did the version of the rule books... (we were sort of loosy-goosy, IMHO, and that was what made it fun. I remember one time a fellow in our group had maximum strength and a "bag of holding" (from memory, sketchy at this point). Anyway, one time he said casually while in "town" that he put a spanish galleon in his bag of holding, and the DM acknowledged it. Later, when we faced a dragon, he "whipped out his spanish galleon and slapped the dragon across the face". The DM was pissed, and spent a long time estimating the size of the ship and how many hit points a spanish galleon could inflict...

Good times,

Lionel