[geeks] New small Intel Board

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 17:50:17 CDT 2008

On 5 Jun 2008, at 23:04, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D945GCLF/index.htm
>
> That is a new Atom board.  It is slightly more expensive than the
> recent
> little valley celeron boards, but this time they include Intel
> graphics
> instead of SIS graphics.  So, it might not run Solaris as well as the
> LV2, but it probably runs desktop linux a lot better.

I'm very tempted, but then I think about the cost of adding SATA
drives, DDR2 RAM, a Mini ITX case and all the other stuff and I kinda
think twice.

Does anyone think it'd be any faster than a Pentium 4 2.8HT? I know
it'd use a lot less power. I'm tempted to lob the P4 board out of my
old ex-games PC and replace it with that, just because it's got all
the bits there I need and it's a lot more economical. Even though it's
in a huge ATX case, which would dwarf the board, it'd still be cool.
That way I could buy a decent size Mini ITX case at a later date and
transfer the guts over as and when, I've got a 80GB boot drive (SATA)
and a 200GB ATA133 kicking about spare...

I really wanted to use my old Games PC as a media center, does anyone
think this thing would struggle with HD video? A PCI TV tuner wouldn't
be a problem, and if done right the Intel video isn't to bad for
media, apparently. The Mac mini certainly copes okay.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>