[geeks] .hk, .cn, .info considered harmful

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Jun 5 12:32:34 CDT 2008

der Mouse wrote:
>> Well, in some cases (.cm, .ws being particularly good examples),
>> geographic location is comparatively irrelevant
>
> True.
>
>> compared to who controls the TLD the machine is registered under.
>
> Machines aren't under TLDs; names are.  Machines<->names is even
> farther from a bijection than addresses<->names is.  (At work, for
> example, we have a couple of machines which have multiple hundreds of
> addresses each, doing webservice for even more domains than that, the
> domains scattered across at least three or four TLDs.)

True.  I oversimplified.

Nevertheless, the intended point stands.  A site running on a domain
registered under a TLD operated by spammers or domain squatters is
relatively unlikely to be innocent, just as unexpected email from
Nigeria is relatively unlikely to be legitimate.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.