[geeks] Is there still a free anti-virus package for WinXP?

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 18:18:19 CDT 2008

On Jun 3, 2008, at 12:47 AM, Jonathan Groll wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 04:30:07PM -0700, Nadine Miller wrote:
>> On May 31, 2008, at 7:53 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> Does anyone know of any Linux package would be somewhat comparable to
>> iPhoto/Picassa for digital camera/picture management?  The Gimp is a
>> little too much for someone who's never laid hands on a computer. :-)
>
> You can get picassa for linux too.

Well, it's not *really* for Linux, it runs under WINE.  However, that
said, it performs better under Linux than it does Windows...take that
as you will.

I ditched gOS (too much indirection/"abstraction" with no
documentation/support forums to help decipher how to fix things that
don't work right) and installed KDE.

I made my mom a "normal" user account, set up a Mail icon (FFox to
Gmail, saved password), FFox icon, Picassa Icon (and set it to be the
default app for Cameras & all graphics files), and Pidgin icon for IM
(with IM accounts set up) down on the taskbar/kicker/whatever they
call it.  This should be good enough.  I'd nuke most of what is in the
KDE menu if I had more time, but I leave tomorrow.

We'll see if she decides to try anything; I really kind of doubt that
she will, but you never know.

=Nadine=