[geeks] Does anyone have servers at ThePlanet?

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 05:51:51 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:39 AM, James Fogg <James at jdfogg.com> wrote:
>> Apparently their Houston datacenter had an explosion that knocked out
>> power over the weekend.
>>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/01/the_planet_houston_data_center_f
> ir
>> e/
>

> Where did you hear "explosion"? Get your facts straight please.

If you go on the forum where they posted updates:
"From Doug Erwin:
This evening at 4:55pm CDT in our H1 data center, electrical gear
shorted, creating an explosion and fire that knocked down three walls
surrounding our electrical equipment room. Thankfully, no one was
injured. In addition, no customer servers were damaged or lost.

We have just been allowed into the building to physically inspect the
damage. Early indications are that the short was in a high-volume wire
conduit. We were not allowed to activate our backup generator plan
based on instructions from the fire department."