[geeks] Upper Memory Limit - Java

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Wed Jan 30 18:34:26 CST 2008

Francois Dion wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2008 2:26 PM, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com> wrote:
>> To address > you will need a 64 bit JVM, but then the app will
>> probably need a new build.
>
> What I meant by that is not that the java bytecode wont run, but it is
> that since the memory allocation will be larger, you might want to
> optimise code differently with the netbeans profiler (or whatever you
> use).
>
> Francois

I'd be happy to do this - or rather throw it back to the developer
upstairs and tell HIM to do this - but it's not our app - it comes from
the vendor 'as-is'.

To be fair, after a round of phone calls last night and today this seems
to be a self-inflicted issue; other customers are putting far larger
amounts of data through without the problems we are having;  I suspect
the guys running EDI don't quite have a handle on 'how' to do what
they're asking the software to do.

Which reminded me of a conversation I had with them two months ago ..

Me: (Looking at the raw xml files that are hundreds and hundreds of mb
in size ) Those are some big files.

Them: Well .. they just come out that way. We're not really sure why ...
(shrug).

That shrug .. oh, how I fear that mental shrug.

--
Brian Dunbar

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod