[geeks] Interesting low-end MB found for current Intel CPUs

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 29 17:52:18 CST 2008

Hello all,

I came across this low-end Intel 775 MB that 'm going to use to update my main
desktop internet machine (currently based on an older Intel MB that is, to say
the least, a bit odd - it has an ATI chipset, not Intel) - the ECS G33T-M2:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?
EdpNo=3135545&body=MAIN#detailspecs

It is based on a very recent Intel chipset, supports all current 775 CPUs, has
lots of "old Skool" features, and some interesting suprises, all for $65
(after $20 rebate).

The MB has 4 DDR2 DIMM sockets, and can accomodate 8 Gig of RAM, 4 ICH9 SATA
II ports, Firewire 400 ports, and includes Intel's GMA 3100 integrated video,
a very decent integrated video solution...

What's odd - no IDE port - none. That means an optical drive would take up a
SATA port (or you could work with an external USB 2.0 drive). It also includes
a parallel and a SERIAL port.

I just ordered one, along with a SATA optical drive from Tiger Direct - I
thought others here might be interested as well...

I plan to transplant my Pentium D805 chip (2.66 GHz with 2x 1 Meg cache)
initially, but I'll probably update it to a new Core 2 Duo after the next
round of price cuts ;^)

Lionel