[geeks] The old certification debate....

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Fri Jan 18 11:51:52 CST 2008

> Hola amigos!
>
> In my current job hunt I've found a few positions that either require
> or would like a RHCE. I've shunned certifications most of my career
> but find that employers like that kind of eye candy. Does anyone here
> have an RHCE? How difficult is it?
>
> -Jon

Caution: Strong opinions ahead!

I've managed to avoid certification. I find that employers that require
them do so out of weakness. Management weakness, technology weakness and
soul weakness. Their strengths tend to be suitlyness, deceit and
underling abuse and stagnation.

That said, I should also point out that I've also avoided a college
degree.

Now that you are suspecting that I might be a NOCling or tape swapper
I'll confuse you further by pointing out that I'm a top IT consultant to
the biggest companies and governments on the planet (requested by name,
even). I'd guestimate that 98% of all computer users in the US have
traversed a network I've touched.

I understand the need to "have a job", and I've certainly had some
stinkers that didn't need certification, but I don't trust a requirement
to have a cert. Instead, I require that the hiring manager understand
the technology he manages enough to recognize a good candidate.