[geeks] Business Decision Help, Please

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 18 06:34:56 CST 2008

>From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
>Date: 2008/01/18 Fri AM 05:52:16 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Business Decision Help, Please

>sammy ominsky wrote:
>> So I have a question.  I use my own (5-year old) powerbook for work,
>> and always have.  Last night I met its limits while trying to stream
>> video and insert a full-duplex voip call into that stream.  The cpu
>> was pegged and the framerate dropped to something sad.  So my boss
>> (who was on the other end of said stream, and the guy on the phone
>> there) said "maybe you need a new mac."  Now, there's a seriously huge
>> difference between what would do the job and what I'd buy for myself
>> if I were the one shopping.  Like a $1500 difference.  But I'm the one
>> who's going to be using the thing for the *next* 5 years...
>>
>> Is it reasonable to ask for the one I really want as opposed to the
>> one that'll "do the job"?
>
>Two words:  "future proof".  If you gotta replace it anyway, replace it
>ONCE.  Replace it with something that "just" Does The Job, and you'll
>probably need to replace the replacement next year.

Apply the same thinking you did 5 years ago - I suspect you bought the laptop
you wanted back then, not the one that was "good enough", why not repeat that
same thought process.

Speaking of Mac laptops, I just noticed that Crucial is selling 2x 2 Gig DDR2
PC2-5300 SoDIMMs for $107 - I may upgrade my Mac Book Pro to 4 Gigs (from 2
Gigs) just because it's so cheap. Anyone upgrade a 2.16 GHz MBP to 4 Gigs?
(Crucial says 3072 is max.)

Lionel