[geeks] Leopard, was: find - having a senior moment

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Thu Jan 17 12:40:24 CST 2008

> Maybe it was Control.  The point was, they rejected the entire feature
> suggestion on the basis that one part of it used an optional modifier
> key which wasn't present on one of the by-then-long-obsolete compact
> 1-bit-display diskless Macs, blithely ignoring that at that point the
> *entire OS* was unsupported on that model of Mac because you couldn't
> fit a usable OS image on an 800K floppy.

I do agree that it sounds silly of them to throw out the entire feature
because they are such sticklers, but I thought I'd bring up a few
miscellaneous details which might explain why they weren't completely nuts
to be worrying about their user base the way they were...

Apple introduced the Hard Disk 20 in 1985 for the Mac 512K as part of it's
"Macintosh Office" initiative, and the Mac 512K did not ship with a
keyboard with a control key.  Therefore, you could indeed have a Mac with
a 20MB hard drive and no control key (though you couldn't actually boot
directly off the hard drive unless you had a Mac 512Ke or Plus, or
installed the "128K ROMs" into a Mac 128K or 512K which enabled direct
booting off the HD20 as well as full 800K floppy drive support).  I
believe Apple also marketed "Plus Upgrade Kits" which could be used to
upgrade a Mac 128K to a Plus, and I don't think they included a new
keyboard, so again you could have a scenario where a user had a Mac
without a control key but could run the most current OS release.

- Nate