[geeks] Mac World announcements...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 16 22:25:23 CST 2008

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: 2008/01/16 Wed PM 07:52:15 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Mac World announcements...

>On Jan 16, 2008, at 8:34 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> On Jan 16, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>

>>> I gotta say, looking at it as $229 plus $1.99/episode vs. cost-of-DVR
>>> plus ridiculous-monthly-cost-of-TV-service, it sounds like a win.
>>
>> Depends on what you watch.
>>
>> If I paid $2/episode for what I watch on Miro and standard cable, I'd
>> go broke with Apple TV.
>>
>> Besides, I thought Apple's prices were $2-3 for old movies, $4 for new
>> releases?
>>

>The annoying thing is, the typical cost to the supplier for
>downloading 1 movie (bandwidth and server space needed) is about 15
>cents, which is cheaper than postage.  So clearly there is a lot of
>margin there.

And that Core 2 Duo CPU Intel is pushing only costs a few dollars to
manufacture but those bastards want a few hundred dollars for that chip...

Seriously though, there are a lot of hands in the business of pay-per-
view/movie rental business - the Hollywood writers strike is about (among
other things) the idea that writers deserve a slice/bigger slice of the
revenue stream from movies viewed via "alternative media" (download, DVD
sales, etc.). The actual cost of delivery is not real issue, IMHO.

LIonel