[geeks] Mac World announcements...

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Jan 16 14:29:54 CST 2008

On 16 Jan 2008, at 01:15, Rick Hamell wrote:
>> Bleh, perhaps it'll push the Apple TV more, it's a product that
>> really needs
>> it. Personally I have no use for it but I'm sure  a lot of people
>> will geek
>> out on it.

Does anyone on the list have an apple tv?  I have a question about them
that i can't find anywhere, and therefore assume the answer is no.   Can
you have it directly access a network share (nfs or smb, most likely)
and play music from there?  I don't care if i need to use itunes on my
laptop to get it setup and going as long as after it's setup, the apple
tv can play music from fileserver while the laptop is turned off.  I
know i can sync music to the apple tv's hard drive, but i don't want to
have to mess with that.  I suppose that this could have easily changed
in the new firmware that allows movie rentals, so I won't be suprised if
i still don't have an answer.  I suppose i should also state that i
don't have much interest in hacking the apple tv to be able to do this,
i would think that this would be functionality that would be built into
the software.

    -Dan Sikorski