[geeks] Mac World announcements...

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 13:57:36 CST 2008

On 16 Jan 2008, at 01:15, Rick Hamell wrote:

>> [3] Apple TV price cut: http://www.apple.com/appletv/
>
> Bleh, perhaps it'll push the Apple TV more, it's a product that
> really needs
> it. Personally I have no use for it but I'm sure  a lot of people
> will geek
> out on it.

Until Apple announced the Movie Rentals service on AppleTV it *was*
just a geek toy. It's ceased to be that now - it's a mode of getting
movies into the house from the internet easily and connected directly
to the TV. The key here is 'no computer required'. It will play ball
with iTunes if it's there, but crucially it's no longer REQUIRED to be
there. This is essentially an Apple set-top content delivery box.
Kinda like having a BLOCKBUSTER in your living room with no worries
about scratched discs, returning it on time, not having the movie you
pick in stock, or you having to get in the car/walk there. I can see
it being quite popular as an idea myself.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>