[geeks] Mac World announcements...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 15 22:51:54 CST 2008

(Sorry - previous post was sent in error before I edited in my thoughts...)

>From: Rick Hamell <hamellr at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/01/15 Tue PM 07:15:59 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Mac World announcements...

<snip>

>> [1]Wireless Storage/Base Station:
>
>I wish he'd gone on more about this. The price doesn't seem bad, $299 for
>500gb and $499 a terabyte, plus it's a wireless base station. He stated that
>it has "business class" hard drives, but does that mean Raid? Or just "high
>quality"? Although Time Machine backs up to it automatically is pretty cool.

I don't think the price is too far off, but it is squarely aimed at folks
without an airport base station already - IIRC, Time Machine can back up to
any Mac on the network, it just want's it's own drive to manage. Also, doesn't
the current airport base station allow you to add a USB 2.0 HD? At $179 for
the airport base and $120 for the 500 Gig HD is reasonable, but it won't
displace an existing airport extreme base station (IMHO)...

>> [3] Apple TV price cut: http://www.apple.com/appletv/
>
>Bleh, perhaps it'll push the Apple TV more, it's a product that really needs
>it. Personally I have no use for it but I'm sure  a lot of people will geek
>out on it.

Now the cheapest Mac is now cheaper - you can run OS X on this, but it is a
Core Solo CPU, not a lot of RAM...

But it is cheap.

Lionel