[geeks] Leopard, was: find - having a senior moment

John Francini francini at mac.com
Tue Jan 15 13:13:54 CST 2008

On 15 Jan 2008, at 11:03, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>>> Adding the smarts to an icon for a non-running program so that it
>>> changes in response to the date should be about 3,000 notches below
>>> making sure -advertised features- (X11, SMB, printing) work out-
>>> of-the-
>>> box flawlessly.  Sure, if everything else works well, burn some
>>> time on
>>> that.  If not, there are more important things to do.
>>
>> You are, of course, correct.
>>
>> But, I suspect there are different teams working on different things,
>> wouldn't you agree? If the team dedicated to fancy icons has some
>> spare time, should they sit on their hands because the Unix toolset
>> team is behind schedule..?
>
> Besides, for all we know, the changing date was because someone
> decided
> to stay late a few evenings to add it because he himself wanted it.

Indeed there are different groups working on different things.  If
you were interested in more of the guts of the whole X11 fiasco on
Leopard, you might want to subscribe to Apple's X11-Users list
(available at <http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/>) and read
the conversations back and forth -- including Apple X11 developers.
So you can get the words from the horses mouths, as it were.

John