[geeks] Playstation 3 + HD-DVD

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 14:29:27 CST 2008

On 14 Jan 2008, at 19:00, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

>> My best suggestion would be that if the XBox360 drive is USB, which I
>> believe it is, the *hardware* may work with PS3 Linux, but that alone
>> won't play the movies as you require H.264 support (not an issue on
>> it's own AFAIK) AND the codec to play back material protected by the
>> HD-DVD DRM.
>
> It is indeed USB.

Wonder if it works with Windows Vista...

>> Looking at it from that POV make it look difficult to me as any HD-
>> DVD, or for that matter Blu-Ray, player for Linux will need
>> proprietary code to play the discs.

> If one can see past the formats and get
> around the DRM

That's the big stopper. H.264 isn't hard to support, and Blu-Ray, as
you stated, uses almost identical playback. DRM is where the hang-up
is. That's also what will need the proprietary code. I perhaps
confused the point a little by bundling them together in my original
statement ;)

It's quite likely however that the DRM mechanism for playing Blu-Ray
is locked up in the PS3 firmware and is not callable from outside.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>